As a person who has gone through grief I was encouraged by this list of ten suggestions for people who are doing care and comforting ministry to friends, neighbors, and church members.
Suggestions for comforters:
- Those who really comforted me treated me as a unique individual and did not presue to know how I felt.
- Speak from the heart or not at all.
- They come knowing that it was important for me to talk about my feelings if I felt like it.
- They took their cues from me during the conversation.
- They intuitively knew, or had learned along the way that talk doesn’t have to fill the air all the time. Light irrelevant talk may be painful for the newly bereaved.
- They were able to use touch appropriately
- They realized that I didn’t need a Bible study when I questioned “Why?” It was a cry of anguish and did not require an intellectual response.
- They cried with me.
- They asked me what I would like to do- accepting my need of a fallow time during the transition in my life.
- Caring must be from the inside out to be authentic.
What would you add? Why?