Religious Studies professor Scot McKnight writes 10 lessons that evangelicals can learn from Rob Bell’s new book in Relevant Magazine.
1) Social media is where controversial ideas will be both explored and judged.
2) Megachurch pastors are being watched closely. “Who says what” has always mattered.
3) Tribalism pervades the American religious scene.
4) Hell remains a central Christian conviction and concern.
5) Christian views of hell are both incomplete and in need of serious examination.
6) Pressing questions require serious thinking.
7) Missiology remains the center of gospeling in our world.
8 ) Low church, non-denominational evangelicalism, of which Rob Bell is an exceptional representative, carries its own dangers.
9) We are still asking a big question: What is the Gospel?
10) What is evangelicalism and what is orthodoxy?